Friday, April 11, 2014

Mornings #3

Waking up at 5:15am isn't exactly ideal but I was meeting a good friend (and fellow comedian) for a taping of a television show.

Surprisingly, on just two hours sleep, I feel rather refreshed when I get up. That's the thing about getting a little older and living "cleanly", you actually have more energy than you think you do and you don't want to miss out on anything. Or maybe, in reality your body isn't designed to sleep anymore. Who knows? But I am up and I am ready. I also have a limited window where fear thoughts can creep in because I have to get out of the apartment and so they never materialize. Basically, I dress and bolt out the door. I don gray slacks, a v-neck black shirt and the same pink Aldo jacket that I wore the other day (that seemed to be a hit).  I haven't made it a block before I bump into a handsome comedian that I know. You don't often see comedians this early in the morning unless they're staggering home from a night out or going to tape something and I didn't think either was the case for him as he looked pretty darn good but not attired for some morning gig. We exchanged pleasantries and parted ways.

I hustled to meet my other friend and with coffees in hand, she and I hailed a cab and made our way to the show. Here's the thing about talk shows--there's a whole lot of forced applause breaks and smiles and smiles and smiles but in the end, the folks that do them are hard-working people. They're putting out a product & everybody's got something to sell. Everybody. You don't have to buy it and you don't have to watch it but once in a while there's some good information you can garner. Yes, I said "garner." I like going to these things once in awhile and, on the off chance that the camera hits me, it's a nice  thing for my father to see at home in Florida when the segment airs. I think/hope he takes pride in these fleeting moments on screen (even though I'm not on the show per se) because he knows I'm in the entertainment game--doing my thing... whatever that actually is.

After the taping, My friend and I score some swag ($100 gift card) which makes the early morning call  even more pleasing. Topping it off,  Laila Ali (daughter of boxing legend Mohammed Ali) was the guest and I found her to be completely grounded, honest and funny. After the show, my friend and I grab a bite to eat--opting for healthy choices after minimal discussion. 

I will say there was an unfortunate incident with me spitting grits but that's only because she's freakin' funny.

It's worth noting that this has been one of the nicest days so far this spring and as the sun burns through the clouds, I walk through Central Park. I cruise through Sheep's Meadow, head over to Bethesda Fountain and make my way to the Boat Pond.  For a moment, I'm struck by the sunlight reflected in ripples of the water, the tipping sailboats and ducks but in the distance I hear the sound of music and move toward it. Ultimately, I perch myself on a bench to listen to some really talented jazz musicians. You simply have to love New York City.

I'm off to a great start but it's not even 1pm and there's plenty of day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment