Thursday, April 10, 2014

4/9/14 - There are about 50 screaming kids outside my office door. They're here for an Improv show and they're very happy and hopeful.  I hear Bill Burr's voice in my mind saying "Settle that!"  

I, on the other hand, am in the office working, taking phone calls, answering questions & anticipating deliveries. Doing so while there seems to be a jackhammer coming through the ceiling above me. I'm always asking, "What are they fixing?" "What are they doing?" "Where is this coming from?" and I have yet to find out exactly who, what and why. It all comes with the territory though and I've grown used to it. In the old days this would probably be grounds for a cigarette but these are not the old days and I'm healthier and chomping on grapes.

When I wake up, in addition to all of the other rituals I have, I anticipate that I'm walking into this scenario so I'm never really taken by surprise. I work in a comedy club for crying out loud.

It's actually the kind of chaos I thrive on now. I feel alive (not Mary Tyler Moore alive--just alive) in it and there's nothing better than after a crazy day--where you may be pulled in all sorts of directions (but you somehow manage to balance it out) that you get to put on a show and make people laugh because in the end it's laughter that counts and of course making your boss a couple of dollars.

Hold it! I think I just described Tina Fey's character on 30 Rock. Maybe I should stop writing. Liz Lemon meet Gina Savage.

No comments:

Post a Comment