Thursday, May 22, 2014

#12

It was dull outside. I heard the distant sounds of morning traffic. No birds that I recall. Is it ever going to be summer? I fumble for my phone. Morning tweets of atrocities going on in the world and then...what?!...when did Sam Champion leave GMA? What the? How did I miss that? My priorities are beyond screwed.

Anyway, it looks like it might rain but I don't take an umbrella because I'm a rebel (but really it's because I just don't want to carry one more thing).

I'm relaxed today--wearing jeans and a black shirt and my Converse All-star basketball sneakers. I've said it just like that since I was 10. "I'm wearing my Converse All-star basketball sneakers" and that's that! I also say things like "Stereophonic unit" but that's another story.

I heard that Irish Mike died. We were probably around the same age. Actually, he might have been younger but years of alcohol abuse made that impossible to determine. I didn't know him well but in his more lucid moments he was a seemingly nice guy, a helpful one and genuinely liked by most who came in contact with him. He just couldn't get it (sober) and maybe he never wanted to get it having lost his wife and children in a bad accident years ago. It was more than sad but I can't tell you in all honesty that I didn't expect it and it is a sad thing to expect.

The thing is--no matter how bad it gets, I just don't want to let the bad win. There are too many things in life that make it worth living.

Last night, as I walked home at dusk through Central Park, I was surprised that there were not more people about to witness its splendor and at the same time I felt it was a treat for me...having the park almost all to myself. Still, serene and magical. I had no home. I had no age. I just was.

Did I lose you? Fine. Back to comedy.

What I'm trying to say is that many times we think we know what's ahead but we don't. Plans are ideas we try to set in motion and the "best laid plans of mice and men" (there I go again).

Man, all I'm saying is that I want to be around to see it all...all the possibilities. To take part in the conversation and mostly to laugh...

even and if mostly at myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment