Monday, May 12, 2014

#10

I'm sitting in  a little side street park--breeze blowing with a warm hint of the summer to come. Just finished my volunteer shift at the  yoga studio. It is nearly noon. My day began at 8:20. For the two hours I spend at the yoga studio (each hour translates to a free class) I think of nothing but towels --loading them in and out of washers and dryers. I get to wear blue rubber gloves because the towels are saturated with the sweat of the yoga practitioners.  I put the gloves on with the speed in which I believe surgeons do before they operate. I do this because it's necessary and in case I get a movie role where I get to play a surgeon. The "laundry shift" as it is called, is a little monotonous but it keeps my mind off anything negative. Being around the energy and the people at the studio is uplifting and I get to observe the classes (which is good) and taking my free class later makes me very very happy!

Outside on the bench now, I realize days have gone by since I wrote anything. The pace of life has made it difficult but that's no excuse. Some mornings, I simply don't want to. Other times, I can't collect my thoughts long enough to get to writing them down. I can't assess them and wonder if my they're even worth assessing-- they come in and go out like waves--flooding my mind and then disappearing.

Whatever. I watch an old man walk away and the breeze picks up some.

I went to the theater last night as I mentioned I would in a prior blog. I saw Of Mice And Men on Broadway with James Franco and Etc Cast.  I say Etc. Cast because I highly suspect the play would not get the recognition that it's getting if he were not in it. Which isn't to say that the other actors including the Tony nominated Chris O'Dowd, lovely Leighton Meester and ensemble aren't extremely talented--it's just obvious what is driving people to this play (including myself). I'm no hypocrite. I've seen the play 1 million times (okay, three) and watched countless (okay, six) actors in scene study classes perform it, why else would I go?

I had arrived at the theatre having spent the day earlier with my boss and my comic sisters of The Red Light podcast. Interested parties may listen to the podcast at: theredlight.podomatic.com. It's sassy, explicit, scattered and informative. That's as much of a description as I'm going to give you. We definitely try to have fun.

So, I get to my balcony seat. I'm wearing a black dress and pearls but I am cloaked (I get dramatic when I'm in the theater) in my jean duster--which I particularly like and which I thought would lend to the authenticity, tone & mood of the play--because in my mind I'm in it. What can I say? I'm all about immersing. I like to immerse.

Seated behind me is a middle school class from Seattle. There are probably 35 to 50 kids--most of them teenage girls and all of them proclaiming that they will have James Franco's baby.  I want to tell them that they don't stand a chance because I will pulverize them (and he and I will adopt) but mostly I just want them to shut up.
The play is as compelling as I remember it to be and all of the actors do their jobs. Because I'm aware that this is live theater, I know that some nights may be better than others and I had a slight suspicion that this night was not one of the more engaged nights (which isn't to say it wasn't a good night it just felt slightly off for some reason).

As I exited, throngs of young girls gathered to take selfie's and Instagram photos with James Franco. I disappeared into the streets where I was promptly met by promoters trying to sell me comedy club tickets!  

Geesh, guys! Don't you know who I am? I must be having an off night. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment